Monday, September 13, 2010

Yiasou Greek Festival

We had another busy weekend at our house, including a visit to the local Greek festival.  After living here for three years, we finally made it, and it was amazing! 

Let me just say that I love a good festival.  I grew up in this little town in Iowa, and every year there was this huge Tulip festival where we all celebrated our Dutch heritage by putting on really uncomfortable costumes, dancing traditional dances, and getting our pictures taken by tourists.  It was the most fun time of year, because really the rest of the year there just isn't very fun.  So 20 or so years of that made me really appreciate festivals of all kinds. 

Henry and Daddy

We decided to go on Saturday before football started.  The weather was perfect: mostly cloudy, which this time of year here means not beastly hot, and we beat the rain that sprinkled right as we were getting into the car to go home.  H, despite not really napping (big surprise) did great and was pretty calm the whole time.  It always amazes me that he does well in public when he's kind of a mess at home.  Anyway, we planned to eat lunch there, and there were so many choices we didn't even know what to do.  We settled on souvlaki because it seemed easy.  Also, the line was pretty short.  There was a whole tent of baked goods and desserts, and I got the most incredibly delicious dessert ever: the baklava sundae.  Seriously, I almost bought baklava and ice cream at Trader Joes today just to see if I could recreate it.  It was chopped baklava served over ice cream, and it was amazing.  So sad that Greek festival only happens once a year, because I could eat that once a DAY.  But then I'd never lose the baby weight, so I guess it's a good thing I can't, right?

Amazing dessert

lunch!

There were also exhibits about Greek history and the Byzantine Church, which we checked out briefly before H started to get cranky.  By the time we started to walk out, though, he was asleep.  Little cutie.

little sleeper

1 comment: