Friday, September 10, 2010

TGIF Workhorse: Mom jeans and patterned tops

Oh, I cannot tell you how glad I am that today is Friday.  I know that my days are all theoretically the same, since I don't work anymore, but you have no idea how nice it is to have my darling husband around during the weekends.  Not only does H love his daddy, but I love having someone who talks back to me with words instead of animals noises and, his new favorite, spitting.

Anyhoo, to celebrate the almost-weekend, let's showcase my absolute can't live without wardrobe workhorse: jeans.  After having H, let's just say my body is a little different (and still a lot heavier).  Which meant that for the first two months he was around, I had no jeans that fit me.  I know that I had this giant, throbbing incision in my abdomen that made wearing anything non-stretchy painful, and I know it was like 100 degrees out every day for those two months, but it was still depressing.  So a couple of weeks ago, I finally sucked it up and went shopping.  With my baby.  Twice in one week.  But you know, it was totally worth it because I scored two pairs of these jeans, which are my new favorites, at the Gap, and I used a coupon, so it's not like it really counts, right Visa?  But then I had to promise Darling Husband that I wouldn't buy any clothes at all for the whole month of September as part of his birthday present, and then we went out and bought a new bedroom set anyway, so so much for that gift idea and now I probably have to get him something real unless I can promise not to shop ever again.  Oh, but I still need to get sheets for the new bed, and wouldn't it be nice if they were 600-thread count?  But I digress.

on me: Jeans: the perfect boot by Gap, top: Anthro, nursing tank: Target.  on Henry: star onesie and blue pants: Faded Glory, gift from Aunt Kay

While I do have other jeans, I always come back to a dark bootcut.  There is simply no wrong was to wear them (although I pruposely cut off my feet in these photos so you can't tell that I have been wearing these around unhemmed, which probably IS a wrong way to wear anything because it makes me look like I'm playing dress-up with grown-up clothes.  Which is why I bought two pairs that look exactly the same.  I like things that are easy.  Also, these jeans are a little higher rise than I used to wear, and I never thought I would be one of those women who started wearing higher jeans when I had a baby, but, seriously, they do so much to suck in the giggle below my waist, and also, I'm not flashing the goods all over when I bend over to pick H up, so now I kind of get it. 

I actually read in one of my baby books that nursing moms should wear printed tops because they show stains less.  Which is totally true.  I'm working on getting a few more printed pieces for my wardrobe (well, not right now because of that damn birthday promise), but this on remains a favorite.  The surplice neckline makes for super easy nursing, and it has this nice gather-y piece that lays gently over my still-jiggly belly.  Plus, I'm pretty sure no Henry-related stains show on it, so it's a great piece to wear when I know we have a lot to do in public.  Because I don't mind wandering around my house covered in bodily fluids, but I don't need strangers to know that.

Also, doesn't H look cute in that little outfit from Auntie?  It's the softest thing and so sweet and also he threw up all over the clothes he was wearing earlier. 

1 comment: